Candle Safety & Care
Soy wax candles generally burn longer than paraffin candles. Soy wax is derived from natural vegetables while paraffin is a refined gasoline by-product. Soy wax is 100% biodegradable while paraffin wax is not.
Soy wax has excellent fragrance holding properties, which means Russell Island Soapery candles give a longer-lasting and even scent throughout the candle's burn time. Other superior qualities of Soy wax is little to no soot, burns evenly and clean.
*Note Soy wax may become bumpy or cottage cheese-like after it has cooled, this is perfectly normal behaviour and won't affect your candle.
The high-quality fragrance oils we choose are sourced with a reputable candle making supplier located in Brisbane.
When lighting your candle for the first time let the wax melt all the way to the edge of the glass. This will prevent tunneling and create an even burn for the candles lifetime. This may take between 2-4 hours at most.
Trim your wicks before every use to 6mm. This will ensure your candle does not burn hotter than it should and thus will prolong the life of the candle, so trim the little ball on the end of your wick to keep your candle burning gently. Be sure not to cut it too short or it will become engulfed by wax.
If soot forms on the inside of the vessel, it may be a sign that your wick is too long. Simply extinguish the candle, let it cool, then wipe with sides of the glass with a clean damp cloth. Trim the wick and relight. Keep your wax free of any debris at all times.
Your candle is burning properly if the flame is tear-drop shaped & upright. Extinguish a candle if it smokes, flickers or the flame becomes too high. These signs indicate the candle is not burning properly and the flame isn't controlled. Let the candle cool, trim the wick, then check for drafts before re-lighting.
Its important candles are not burnt when there is 10mm of wax or less remaining in the jar. We strongly advise against this as the flame needs a solid base of wax to avoid overheating the glass jar.
Always store your candles in a cool, dark and dry place avoiding sunlight.
Don't burn a candle longer than 4 hours!